Culford Young Learners
Residential English summer course for ages 10-13
Culford is a beautiful school built on the estate of Culford Hall, set in 480 acres of stunning grade 1 parkland. The combination of modern and historic buildings with excellent sports facilities make Culford an ideal location for a summer English course.
Students at Culford study 15 full hours of English lessons each week and have afternoon and evening activities. Meals are taken in the dining hall where a good variety of meals are offered.
Culford school boasts excellent sports facilities and students who are keen on tennis can book performance tennis coaching with qualified instructors for an extra charge.
Course Dates 2020
5th – 18th July
19th July – 1st August
Course Fees 2020
|2 Week Course||£1750+£50 Registration Fee|
|4 Week Course||£3500+£50 Registration Fee|
- 15 full hours teaching per week
- Maximum class size of 12
- Elementary – advanced levels
- Reports and certificates
Placement testOn your first day, you will take a short written test and have an interview with a teacher so that we assess your level of English and choose the best class for you.
English classesOur English classes are based on our school’s topic based syllabus. You will develop your language skills while discussing topics that are relevant and interesting to you. You should expect to work in pairs and groups regularly, and take part in class discussions and other activities that make learning enjoyable and fun. Classes will help you to:
- Expand your vocabulary
- Increase your grammatical accuracy
- Improve your pronunciation
- Gain confidence in using English in every situations
Project classesIn our project classes, you will use English to work on a project together with your class mates. You will be able to choose the focus of your project with help from your teacher. Popular projects include:
- Creating a school magazine
- Surveys of Select staff or members of the public
- Making a guide to Cambridge for future students
- Preparing a presentation on your hometown
Drama classesOn your final day at Select, all classes put on a short performance for the rest of the school. In your drama classes, your teacher will help you to prepare and rehearse your performance. This is an excellent way to build your confidence and is also lots of fun!
Reports and certificatesAt the end of the course, you will receive a certificate with your English level and a report from your teachers.
- Located in Bury St Edmunds, just 45 minutes' drive from Cambridge
- Boys and girls are accommodated on separate floors in one boarding house
- Students will stay in dormitories with 4- 8 beds per dorm
- Breakfast, lunch (or packed lunch) and evening meal provided
- Shared bathroom and shower facilities
- Bed linen provided
- Fully supervised by Select English staff
- Excellent sports facilities – tennis courts, all weather basketball and football pitch, and an indoor sports hall
- Student common rooms
- Trips to London, Cambridge, Warwick, Bury St Edmunds and Pleasurewood Hills Theme Park
- Computers with internet access
An example two-week activity schedule at Culford
|Day||Afternoon Activity||Evening Activity|
|Monday||Sports Afternoon||Welcome Party|
|Tuesday||Trip to Bury St Edmunds and Ickworth House||Football World Cup|
|Wednesday||Archery or Basketball||Film Night|
|Thursday||Full Day Excursion to Warwick Castle||Free Time|
|Friday||Scavenger Hunt or Swimming||Disco|
|Saturday||Table Tennis or Basketball||Capture the Flag|
|Sunday||Full Day Excursion to London with Madame Tussauds||Free Time|
|Monday||Mini Olympics||Swimming or Cricket|
|Tuesday||Trip to Cambridge||Casino Night and Summer Party|
|Wednesday||Tennis or DIY Rockets||Film Night|
|Thursday||Trip to Pleasurewood Hills||Orienteering|
|Friday||Talent Show||Farewell Party|
- Safe and secure location
- Fully supervised by Select English staff
- First Aid trained staff
- Access to medical services (extra charges may apply)
- 24 hour emergency contact number – 0044 (0) 7985 026835
- To qualify for a free transfer on arrival, you need to book a flight that lands on Sunday between 9am and 5pm at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Note: this is based on the time of the flight, NOT the projected time of the transfer itself.
- To qualify for a free transfer on departure, you need to book a flight that takes off on a Saturday between 9am and 5pm at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Note: this is based on the time of the flight, NOT the projected time of the transfer itself.
- If your flight is outside these hours, to/from a different airport or on a different day, you will need to either make your own way, or arrange a private taxi transfer. Please contact us on email@example.com to arrange this. It is highly recommended that students under the age of 18 arrange a private transfer.
|5th - 18th July||SPACES|
|19th July -1st August||SPACES|
Care of Under 18sPlease read the below as it outlines the level of care and supervision provided on this course. Once you have read this section please complete the consent form. You can complete the consent form here If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Every student will be given a wristband containing the school emergency number (07985 026835)
- Students are given safety advice as part of their pre-arrival information and first day induction. This can be downloaded from this page of our website selectenglish.co.uk/welfare
- The activity programme is compulsory.
- We will have a same-sex member of staff living on each floor
- Students must attend all off-site excursions unless they are feeling ill. When ill, a member of Select English staff will remain on site.
- Staff/student ratios will generally be 1:15 at Culford School. However, ratios will be determined by the risk assessment carried out for each activity.
- During trips students will have no unsupervised free time
- Students will receive three meals a day and snacks are available to buy from the tuck shop
- There will be a male and female member of staff with on–call overnight responsibility in each boarding house. Male and female staff will patrol the corridors after lights out