- The Course
- Accommodation & Welfare
- Pre-Departure Information
Culford Young Learners – Ages: 10-13
Culford is a beautiful school built on the estate of Culford Hall, set in 480 acres of stunning grade 1 parkland. The combination of modern and historic buildings with excellent sports facilities make Culford an ideal location for a summer young learners English course.
Students on Culford Young Learners study 15 full hours of English lessons each week as well 5 hours of arts and crafts classes.
In addition, there is a full programme of afternoon and evening activities (see example schedule below).
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are taken in the dining hall where a good variety of meals are offered (packed lunches are given to students on excursion days).
Culford school boasts excellent sports facilities and students are able to make use of these during their course.
We also offer a course for teens aged 13-16 at Culford. Groups with some students on each course are welcome to join the programmes. View the Culford teens course details here.
- 15 full hours teaching per week
- 5 full hours of arts and crafts
- Maximum class size of 12
- Elementary – advanced levels
- Reports and certificates
On your first day, you will take a short written test and have an interview with a teacher so that we assess your level of English and choose the best class for you.
Our English classes are based on our school’s topic based syllabus. You will develop your language skills while discussing topics that are relevant and interesting to you. You should expect to work in pairs and groups regularly, and take part in class discussions and other activities that make learning enjoyable and fun.
- Expand your vocabulary
- Increase your grammatical accuracy
- Improve your pronunciation
- Gain confidence in using English in everyday situations
In our project classes, you will use English to work on a project together with your class mates. You will be able to choose the focus of your project with help from your teacher. Popular projects include:
- Creating a school magazine
- Surveys of Select English staff or members of the public
- Making a guide to Cambridge for future students
- Preparing a presentation on your hometown
Course Dates 2022
|3rd Jul 2022 to 16th Jul 2022|
|3rd Jul 2022 to 30th Jul 2022|
|17th Jul 2022 to 30th Jul 2022|
Course Fees 2022
|2 Week Course||£1750+£50 Registration Fee|
|4 Week Course||£3500+£50 Registration Fee|
|3rd Jul 2022 to 16th Jul 2022||Spaces Available|
|3rd Jul 2022 to 30th Jul 2022||Spaces Available|
|17th Jul 2022 to 30th Jul 2022||Spaces Available|
£275 per two week course
On your final day at Select, all classes put on a short performance for the rest of the school. In your drama classes, your teacher will help you to prepare and rehearse your performance.
This is an excellent way to build your confidence and is also lots of fun!
Reports and Certificates
At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate with your English level and a report from your teachers.
- Excellent sports facilities – tennis courts, all weather basketball and football pitch, and an indoor sports hall
- Student common rooms
- Trips to London, Cambridge, Warwick Castle, Pleasurewood Hills and Bury St Edmunds
- Computers with internet access
An example two-week activity schedule at Culford
|Day||Afternoon Activity||Evening Activity|
|Monday||Sports Afternoon||Welcome Party|
|Tuesday||Museum or Tennis||Football World Cup|
|Wednesday||Cupcake Decorating or Capture the Flag||Film Night|
|Thursday||Full Day Excursion to Cambridge||Fashion Show|
|Friday||Scavenger Hunt or Swimming||Masquerade Disco|
|Saturday||Swimming or Art Masks||Free Time|
|Sunday||Full Day Excursion to London||Free Time|
|Tuesday||Mini Olympics||Swimming or Kick Cricket|
|Wednesday||T Shirt Making or Tennis||Cupcake Decorating or Football|
|Thursday||Rounders/Talent Show Rehearsal||Casino Night|
|Friday||Talent Show||Farewell Party|
Take advantage of the world class tennis facilities at Culford and book a Performance Tennis Academy in addition to your course. Work on all aspects of your game with fully qualified instructors.
- 8 x 1 Hour sessions per course.
- Maximum 6 students per group.
- £275 per course
The accommodation at Culford is in attractive and comfortable buildings at the heart of the beautiful campus; the dining hall, sports facilities and classrooms are all within a few moments’ walk of all the accommodation buildings.
- Boys and girls are accommodated separately. Students will be accommodated in dormitories of various sizes with students of a similar ages and mixed nationalities
- Breakfast, lunch (or packed lunch) and evening meal provided
- Shared bathroom and shower facilities
- Bed linen provided. Please bring a towel
- Supervised by Select English staff
- Student common rooms
- Tuck shop
Located in Bury St Edmunds, just 45 minutes’ drive from Cambridge
At Select English we want to make sure that all students enjoy their time with us, and feel safe and relaxed whilst they are here in England.
Our approach to student welfare therefore includes dedicated and trained welfare support staff who are always available to help students who need extra support.
All the Select English team share a determined commitment to caring for all of our students, whatever their needs, in the best possible way.
Nadine Kaminska is our Welfare Manager – her email address is email@example.com
Students at Culford should speak to their Course Director in the first instance.
- Safe and secure location
- Fully supervised by Select English staff, regular attendance checks are undertaken
- First Aid trained staff
- Access to medical services (extra charges may apply)
- 24 hour emergency contact number
Care of Under 18s
We take looking after under 18s very seriously.
For each course we offer, we have written a statement about the level of care offered on that particular course, so that parents and students can understand exactly what level of care and supervision they will receive on each different course. The Culford Young Learns consent form can be found here.
These statements form part of a consent and medical form that must be completed for all students aged under 18 attending a course with us.
Please ensure that you complete and return this form – which will be sent with your booking confirmation – to the best of your knowledge so we can offer the best care possible and know how to respond should an emergency occur.
Select English take your privacy seriously, and will only use the data collected on this form to provide the staff on the course you have booked with the information they need to ensure your health and safety
- Every student will be given a wristband containing the school emergency number
- Students are given safety advice as part of their pre-arrival information and first day induction. This can be downloaded from this page of our website selectenglish.co.uk/welfare
- The activity programme is compulsory.
Select English is committed to safeguarding all children in our care to ensure they are kept safe from harm.
We have a dedicated team of senior staff who undertake regular training courses to ensure best practice.
Our Director of Studies, Nadine Kaminska, is in overall charge of safeguarding at the school – her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
The Prevent strategy is a government initiative designed to help people in danger of becoming involved with terrorism or violent extremism.
Select English are committed to the initiative. Further information can be found in our Prevent policy document.
- We endeavour to have a same-sex member of staff living on each corridor but it is not always possible.
- Students must attend all off-site excursions unless they are feeling ill. When ill, a member of Select English staff will remain on site.
- Staff/student ratios will generally be 1:20 at Culford School. However, ratios will be determined by the risk assessment carried out for each activity.
- During trips students aged 14 and over will be allowed to leave staff to visit shops and other amenities for a maximum of 90 minutes and will be told to stay in groups of at least three. After 90 minutes they must check in with the designated supervisor. Students under 14 will have no unsupervised free time
- Select English has a clear set of rules for free time which will be known to all students.
- Students will receive three meals a day.
- There will be a male and female member of staff with on–call overnight responsibility at each site
- To receive a free transfer on arrival, you need to book a flight that is scheduled to land on Sunday between 9.00 and 17.00 at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Students on flights scheduled to land before 9.00 are not eligible for a free transfer. There is no option to wait in the airport. Where flights are delayed, we will always wait for students affected.
- To qualify for a free transfer on departure, you need to book a flight that is scheduled to depart on a Saturday between 9.00 and 17.00 at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Flights scheduled to depart after 17.00 are not eligible for a free transfer.
- If your flight is outside these hours, to/from a different airport or on a different day, you will need to either make your own way, or arrange a private taxi transfer. Please contact us on email@example.com arrange this. All students under the age of 18 must use our free transfer service or book a private taxi transfer.
Prices for one way taxi transfers are below:
What to Bring
- Passport/ID Card
- All documentation sent to you by Select English (Acceptance Letter, Accommodation Letter, Short Term Study Visa Letter, if applicable)
- Suitable Clothing (trainers, swimming kit, raincoat)
- Adaptor/Transformer to charge your phone and to use electrical appliances such as hairdryers. The standard voltage in the UK is 230 volts. Your adaptor must meet UK standards or it will be confiscated for health and safety reasons
- Prescription medication. This must be in its original packaging with the labels translated into English
- The school contact information.
Before you come to Select English there are a few things that need to be arranged.
Consent & Medical Forms
At the time of booking, we will send you a consent and medical form to complete for your child/children. You must return these to us before the start of the course. These apply to students aged 16 and 17 studying on this course.
Select English recommends that all students purchase a comprehensive travel insurance policy prior to departure for the UK.
In this way you will be covered in the event of disruption to travel, loss or damage to belongings and so on.
Most students will also be liable to pay for any medical treatment needed whilst in the UK; an insurance policy that covers medical expenses is therefore advisable.
The summer months are June to September; in this period the weather is normally warm and pleasant, with occasional hot spells – but at night it can always be chilly here, even when the days are hot.
When travelling abroad it is always important to be aware of relevant laws in the country that you’re visiting.
In the UK it is illegal to buy cigarettes or alcohol if you are under the age of 18, and possession of most drugs (including cannabis) is illegal.
Please provide your child with adequate spending money before departure.
It is recommended that students bring at least £25 per day to cover the cost of any snacks, drinks, souvenirs and gifts and so on.
We strongly recommend that students have a pre-payment card instead of bringing large amounts of cash.
What our students are saying
I like Select English because it is really welcoming and the social staff and teachers are great. Heather took us out for dinner the other day which I really enjoyed.
Greta , Italy
I enjoyed my course, it was well organised.
It was professional, well organised and useful.
The Director has helped me to find the right class so that I can improve what I need the most: my speaking and listening. This is difficult for people from Japan so it is important for me to improve these skills.