Police Registration for Visa Students

Students need to register with the local police if they have travelled to the UK on a visa and are staying for more than 6 months. You will need to make an appointment to go to the police station. Kate can help you with this, if you like.

You will need your passport, Biometric Residence Permit, the decision letter notifying you of your successful visa application (if you have this) and two passport size photographs. There is a charge of £34 which must be paid in cash.

Once you have registered you will need to inform the police of the following changes in your circumstances within 7 days: change of address, change place of study, if you renew your passport, extend your Tier 4 visa, marital status or if any other details on your Police Registration Certificate change. Take your passport, Certificate of Registration and any biometric card to the Police Station. An appointment is not necessary for this.

If you lose your Certificate of Registration or it has been damaged, you should email the Police Station for an appointment for a replacement registration document.

The Police Station is close to Select English:


The contact details are:

Overseas Visitors Registration Department

Police Station, Parkside



Telephone: (0345) 4564564 extension 3220

Email: OVRD@cambs.pnn.police.uk


If you would like more advice about studying in the UK, take a look at our previous advice posts here.