Residential English Language Course for Young Learners
Barnardiston Hall is our residential English language course for young learners aged 7-13. It is a boarding school noted for its warm and friendly atmosphere. The school is located in the heart of the Suffolk countryside, just 30 minutes’ drive from Cambridge. It is a safe and secure location, with staff who have years of experience in looking after and working with young learners. We have been running the course at Barnardiston Hall for more than 10 years. It is an active course with 15 hours per day of English lessons combined with a busy activity programme that includes sports, arts and crafts and cultural activities as well as excursions to London and the Pleasurewood Hills theme park. Young learners are certain to have an enjoyable time at Barnardiston Hall.
Barnardiston Hall Course dates for 2019
7th – 20th July
21st July – 3rd August
Barnardiston Hall Prices for 2019
|2 Week Course||£1630 + £50 Registration Fee|
|4 Week Course||£3260+ £50 Registration Fee|
Teaching & Lessons
- 15 full hours teaching per week
- Maximum class size of 12
- Elementary – advanced levels
- Reports and certificates
|09.00-1230||12.30-13.15 or 13.15-13.55 (two sittings)||14.00-18.00||18.15-18.45 or 19.00-19.30 (two sittings)||19.45-21.00|
|Monday||Lessons||Lunch||Duxford Trip||Dinner||Evening Activities/Games|
|Tuesday||Lessons||Lunch||Bury St Edmunds||Dinner||Quiz/Singing/Bouncy Castle|
|Wednesday||Lessons||Lunch||Sports or Chill Out Afternoon||Dinner||Film Night|
|Friday||Lessons||Lunch||Cambridge Trip||Dinner||Show Preparation|
|Saturday||Full Day Trip To Pleasurewood Hills with Packed Lunch||Dinner||Free Time|
|Sunday||Full Day Trip to Oxford with Packed Lunch||Dinner||Free Time|
Placement testOn your first day, you will take a short written test and have an interview with a teacher so that we assess your level of English and choose the best class for you.
English classesOur English classes are based on our school’s topic based syllabus. You will develop your language skills while discussing topics that are relevant and interesting to you. You should expect to work in pairs and groups regularly, and take part in class discussions and other activities that make learning enjoyable and fun. Classes will help you to:
- Expand your vocabulary
- Increase your grammatical accuracy
- Improve your pronunciation
- Gain confidence in using English in every situations
Project classesIn our project classes, you will use English to work on a project together with your class mates. You will be able to choose the focus of your project with help from your teacher. Popular projects include:
- Creating a school magazine
- Surveys of Select staff or members of the public
- Making a guide to Cambridge for future students
- Preparing a presentation on your hometown
Drama classesOn your final day at Select, all classes put on a short performance for the rest of the school. In your drama classes, your teacher will help you to prepare and rehearse your performance. This is an excellent way to build your confidence and is also lots of fun!
Reports and certificatesAt the end of the course, you will receive a certificate with your English level and a report from your teachers.
Barnardiston Hall Location
- Set in the heart of the Suffolk countryside
- 30 minutes from Cambridge
- Safe and secure location
Barnardiston Hall Accommodation
- Accommodation is in small dormitories.
- Boys and girls are accommodated on separate floors supervised by school staff.
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are offered and are taken in school dining room.
- Regular laundry
- Bed linen is provided (students should bring their own towels)
- Warm and friendly atmosphere
Barnardiston Hall Activities & ExcursionsThe course at Barnardiston Hall has an exciting and varied activity programme with sports, games and excursions.
- Full day excursions including London and Madame Tussauds
- Many local trips on the school coach
- Sports, games arts and crafts
- All entrance fees included
An example two-week activity schedule at Barnardiston Hall.
|Day||Afternoon Activity||Evening Activity|
|Monday||Excursion to Bury St Edmunds||Welcome Games|
|Tuesday||Visit to Duxford Air Museum||Quiz/Singing|
|Wednesday||Sports/Chill Out||Film Night|
|Thursday||Mountfitchet Castle||Rollerworld Disco|
|Friday||Excursion to Cambridge||Talent Show Preparation|
|Saturday||Full Day Excursion to Pleasurewood Hills||Free Time|
|Sunday||Full Day Excursion to London||Free Time|
|Monday||Visit Thetford Forest Park||Disco|
|Tuesday||Talent Show Preparation||Quiz/Singing|
|Wednesday||Full Day Excursion to Woburn Safari Park||Talent Show Preparation|
|Thursday||Visit Ickworth House and Park||Show Night|
|Friday||Visit Saffron Walden||BBQ and Awards|
- Small course of 100 students
- Safe and secure environment, 4.5km from the nearest town
- Accommodation in dormitories supervised by school staff
- On site nurse, doctor on call
- Qualified first aiders on site
- Supervised sports and social programme
- 24 hour emergency contact number – 0044 (0) 7985 026835
Barnardiston Hall TransfersFree transfers are available on the Barnardiston Hall course.
- To qualify for a free transfer on arrival, you need to book a flight that lands on Sunday between 9am and 5pm at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Note: this is based on the time of the flight, NOT the projected time of the transfer itself.
- To qualify for a free transfer on departure, you need to book a flight that takes off on a Saturday between 9am and 5pm at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Note: this is based on the time of the flight, NOT the projected time of the transfer itself.
- If your flight is outside these hours, to/from a different airport or on a different day, you will need to arrange a private taxi transfer. Please contact us on email@example.com to arrange this.
Barnardiston Hall Availability
|7th - 20th July||SPACES|
|21st July - 3rd August||SPACES. Closed to Chinese/Mandarin speakers*|
Care of Under 18s
- There is a member of staff living on each corridor.
- Students are given safety advice as part of their pre-arrival information. This can be downloaded from our website selectenglish.co.uk .
- The activity programme is compulsory.
- Students must attend all off-site excursions unless they are feeling ill. When ill, a member of Barnardiston Hall staff will remain on site.
- Students are given identification lanyards to wear.
- Students will be supervised. Supervision ratios will be determined by the risk assessment carried out for each activity.
- Students at Barnardiston Hall will have no unsupervised free time
- Students will receive three meals a day.
- There will be a member of staff with on–call overnight responsibility at and it will be made clear to students who this is and how they can be contacted.