Frequently Asked Questions


Booking & Payment

How do I book a course?

It’s simple: complete a registration form and send it to us, or book online.

Can I start my course any time?

Our summer school courses are only available on certain dates. You can view the course dates on the individual course webpage or in the ‘Fees’ section.

Year-round courses start every Monday, although the school is not open on bank holidays. Bank holidays in 2020/2021 are:

Monday 31st August
Friday 25 December
Monday 28th December
Friday 1st January
Friday 2nd April
Monday 5th April
Monday 31st May
Monday 30th August
Monday 27th December

The school also closes for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year. In 2020 this will be 21st December – 1st January 2021.

You should arrive at your Select English accommodation on the Sunday before your course starts, and depart on the Saturday after your course finishes.

When do I have to pay for my course?

A non-refundable deposit of £200 must be paid with the registration and then the rest of your payment must be paid 4 weeks before the start of your course. If you register less than 4 weeks before the start of your course, you must pay the full price with your registration.

We require a deposit of £1000 from students who require a visa to study in the UK.

If you pay the deposit by credit card, the balance of your fees will be automatically taken when they are due.

Airport Transfers

Are all airport transfers free?

A free airport transfer service is offered on the following summer courses:

  • Cambridge Juniors
  • English Plus Art, Science or Musical Theatre
  • English and Football
  • English for Young Leaders
  • Culford Young Learners
  • Culford Teens
  • Magdalene College

If students book flights which are scheduled to arrive and depart at Heathrow or Stansted between 09.00 – 17.00 on specified arrival/departure days, there will be Select staff waiting to show them to their transport. This applies to individuals and groups. For flights outside these hours or at a different airport, we will arrange private taxi transfers for an additional fee. Note: this is based on the time of the flight, NOT the projected time of the transfer itself.

For General English courses, airport transfers are not included, but we can arrange them for an additional fee.

What if the flight is delayed?

As long as you have provided your flight details in advance, there will be staff there waiting to collect you/your child.

Once you’re here

How much is a weekly bus ticket?

£15 – they can be bought when getting on any Cambridge bus.

How far are homestays from the school?

Approximately 3 – 5 kilometres from the school.

Where will I visit on a day trip?

It’s best to consult the individual course page for this information. In general the full-day excursions take students to London, Oxford and Cambridge.

The Classes & Teachers

How many students are there per class?

There are a maximum of 12 per class.

What types of qualification do the Select English teachers have?

Teachers tend to have bachelors degrees and a recognised EFL qualification such as CELTA. Some also have further formal training qualifications such as diplomas and masters and all staff undergo continuous training.

Social Programme

Are the social programmes included?

Yes. Each summer school course includes a set schedule of activities and a sample schedule can be viewed on the individual course webpage. If the course organises an additional paid activity then students may participate if they wish – if not, there will always be a non-paid activity available to participate in. Most courses will offer multiple options for each activity slot.

On the year-round General English/IELTS courses, a number of activities will be available each week, some of which will incur a small charge. Students simply sign up to any activities they would like to join. The social programme on these courses is not compulsory.

Are students supervised on activities and excursions?

Staff accompany, supervise and ensure that students are safe. On the half-day and full-day excursions included with our summer school courses, students are given limited free time to buy souvenirs, but staff are always available at a meeting point.

You should consult the Care of Under 18s statement for each course for specific information about supervision. This will be sent to you when you book a course; you can also download a copy from each course page on our website (under ‘Welfare’).


Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

To find out if you need a visa to enter the UK, you can check on the UK Government website here.

Select English is a visa sponsor and will provide documentation to support your visa application. We can answer basic questions about visas, but we are not qualified to provide support with completing your application. If you are at all unsure about how to apply for a visa, you should consult a specialist with expertise in UK immigration law.

What if my visa is refused?

We require a deposit of £1000 from all students who require a visa to study in the UK. If your course fees do not exceed this quantity then full course fees are required. In the event of a visa refusal the school reserves the right to keep £200 of that £1000. If the visa is refused due to a fraudulent application, we will retain the full deposit.

For visa students on our summer package courses, we accept a deposit of £200.


I’m from the EU. Will Brexit affect my ability to study in the UK?

We don’t know exactly what will change when the UK leaves the EU. We don’t yet know whether we will leave with or without a deal. If we leave with a deal, a transitional period will apply until 2021 whereby everything will stay much the same and EU citizens will be able to come to the UK as they do now.

Even if we leave without a deal, the UK government has announced that:

‘For a transitional period only, EEA citizens and their family members, including Swiss citizens, will still be able to come to the UK for visits, work or study and they will be able to enter the UK as they do now. However, to stay longer than 3 months they will need to apply for permission and receive European Temporary Leave to Remain, which is valid for a further 3 years.’

For further information see:

Or check the advice from your country’s government about travelling to the UK.

Additional Information

Our full Terms & Conditions can be downloaded here:
Select English Cambridge Terms & Conditions

You can view all company policies here: Policies

What our students are saying