General & Intensive English Courses in Cambridge
Study and learn General English in Cambridge
Your progress matters to us and it is because of this that we have small class sizes on all of our courses, including year-round General English. Teachers also conduct tutorials with students to assess their progress and give tips and help on how they may improve. Our general English courses are based at our main school in Cambridge just 10 minutes’ walk from the city centre.
Classes start every Monday and run all year. The maximum class size is 12
- Content: all levels have an ongoing twelve-week syllabus and progress is monitored throughout the course with weekly progress tests and tutorials.
- Levels: we have Elementary to Advanced levels from September to June. Each student undergoes a level test on the morning of their first day – writing and speaking components – before joining their class.
- Teachers: we have a dynamic and enthusiastic team who all hold recognised teaching qualifications; our core teaching team have years of experience in imparting English courses across the world as well as here in Cambridge. They know what it takes to improve and pass international exams, and will be with you every step of the way during the course.
- Objectives: you will learn how English is used in real-life, focussing on the use of the four key skills (speaking, listening, writing and reading). In addition to modern textbooks and resources, teachers regularly use a mix of media and sources for stimulating classroom use.
- Atmosphere: we encourage you to actively participate in lessons. Our classes have a relaxed and supportive yet hard-working atmosphere and we aim to make your course with us fun, enjoyable and productive.
If you are under 18 please complete and return the Consent and Medical form below before starting the course
QUESTIONS? Contact us on Whatsapp 0044 (0) 7776 713226
Teaching & Lessons
- Small groups
- Subject specific courses
- Exam preparation
- End of course report and certificate stating skills learnt
- You’ll be taught in a small group. We have a maximum of 12 students in a class; the average class size is 7 – 8
- You will meet students from all over the world and have the chance to socialize with them on the activities programme
- You will be taught by qualified, professional English language teachers
- Classes are learner-centred and communicative
- You will work in pairs and small groups and use English throughout the lesson
- Classes are fun and enjoyable
- You will increase your confidence in using English
- You will develop your fluency and accuracy
General & Intensive English Lessons
- You will expand your range of vocabulary
- You will practise and develop your knowledge of English grammar
- You will improve your pronunciation of English
- You will use a course book, which you can borrow from the school.
- You will have two different teachers so you can experience a range of accents and teaching styles
- You will be given a written test, grammar and vocabulary test and short interview on your first day so we can accurately assess your level and place you in the right class
- You will discuss your goals for the course with the Director of Studies and be given advice on how fast you can expect to progress
- You will be given weekly progress tests so you can see how much you have learned each week
- You will have a one to one meeting with your teacher once a fortnight to discuss your progress and set short-term goals
- There is an end-of-level test every 12 weeks; if you are progressing quickly, you have the chance to take the test earlier and move up to the next level
- You will be given a report on your progress and certificate at the end of the course
A Day at Select:
|09:00 – 09:45||Lesson 1 │ General English|
|09:45 – 10:30||Lesson 2 │ General English|
|10:30 – 10:45||Break|
|10:45 – 11:30||Lesson 3 │ General English|
|11:30 – 12:15||Lesson 4 │ General English|
|12:15 – 13:15||Lunch Break|
|13:15 – 14:00||Lesson 5 │ General English or IELTS (No lesson on Fridays)|
|14:00 – 14:45||Lesson 6 │ General English or IELTS (No lesson on Fridays)|
|14:45 – 15:00||Break|
|15:00 – 15:45||Lesson 7 │ IELTS (No lesson on Fridays)|
Social ProgrammeWe offer a variety of leisure activities for our students. There may be an extra cost for these which is usually £5-10 per activity.
BasketballJoin our sports coach for weekly basketball sessions. We play matches against other schools in Cambridge. (Only available during the academic year)
FootballThe school has a football team that competes in the Cambridge University League. All students are welcome to join the weekly training sessions and to try out for the team. (Only available during the academic year).
ExcursionsJoin one of the excursions each weekend to cities all over the UK, with local company Travelsights (extra costs apply).
Social ActivitiesEach week a teacher organises an activity. This could be to a museum, the famous tea rooms at Grantchester or punting on the river. During the summer school (late June to mid-August) we offer 1-2 activities every weekday. During the academic year, we offer 2-3 activities per week.
Prices Monday 2nd January - Friday 22nd December 2017
|Weeks||2-4 weeks||5-8 weeks||9-15 weeks||16-29 weeks||30+ weeks|
|20 Lessons (15 Hours)||£198||£190||£180||£172||£163|
|28 Lessons (21 Hours)||£274||£261||£247||£233||£216|
|32 Lessons (24 Hours)||£286||£273||£262||£248||£236|
- Homestay accommodation (single room, half board): £160 per week.
- Residential accommodation (single en-suite room, self-catering) : £240 per week (available between 16th July - 19th August 2017).
- For more information visit our Accommodation page.
TransfersWe can arrange a private taxi transfer for you at extra cost. Please contact us on email@example.com to organise it.Prices for a one way transfer are below